1. Rhadley. Lots 50 & 51. This was built for Councillor Robinson. The footings were completed in 1887 but the house may not have been finished until 1890. Half-timbered, roof barge boards. Gothic styled hall windows with coloured lights.
2. Kennedy House. Lots 48 & 49. This was designed for Mr G. H. Lock by A. E. Lloyd Oswell in 1896. Large asymmetrical house. Large hall window with coloured lights. Tile-hung gables. This house is called Durnovaria in the 1902 OS map and Branthwaite in the 1926 OS map.
6. Lindisfarne and 8 Braehead. Lots 45, 46 & 47. These were designed and built c. 1889 by A. B. Deakin. Large semi-detached houses with half-timbered gables and a string course. Window with coloured lights. Number 6 was a boarding house for young policemen in the 1960s and is now owned by Shrewsbury School.
9. The Burgage. Lot 54. This was designed for Mrs Davey probably by the architects Nicholson & Corlette 1901. The house favours the Arts & Crafts style. Rendered with sandstone mullions and porch.
10. Merrycourt. Lot 44. This was designed for the Rev E. D. Lewis by the architect Owen Owen of Liverpool in 1883 and built by John Gethin. It was the first house to be occupied on the Kingsland Estate. Substantial house faced with red pressed bricks, stone lintels and string course. It is now owned by Shrewsbury School.
11. Abbotsford. Lot 56. This may be the house listed as designed for Mr W. W. Naunton by A. E. Lloyd Oswell in 1889. However, Mr Naunton also leased Lots 75 & 76 for which details of the architect and builder are uncertain. Mr Naunton is listed there in the 1899 street directory. The Naughton listed here in the 1891 Census may be a misspelling.
13. Radfield. Lot 58. This was designed for Mr A. Wright of Bellstone by A. E. Lloyd Oswell and built by R. Price in 1884/85. House faced with red pressed bricks, tailing with gable and half-timbered in the top storey.
14. The Gables. Lots 40 & 41. This was built for Mr A. H. Wainwright by the local builder Bickerton in 1909. Detailed plans ofthe house mention a schoolroom and the installation of gas-lighting.
15. Colkirk. Lot 60. The date of building is uncertain. The house is first mentioned in the Shrewsbury street directory for 1916 with J. R. Carless living there. The house is red bricked with some half timbering. It is listed as a nursery school in the 1930s.
16. Clinton House. Lots 38 & 39. This is first listed in the street directory for 1906. Red bricked house with stone string course and ornamented gutter brackets. Stone Queen Anne-style porch.
17. Whyteways. Lot 62. The date of building is uncertain. It first appears in the 1928 street directory with the Rev W. S. Ingrams (a master at Shrewsbury School) as the occupant.
18. Chessington and 20 Beech Hill. Lots 36 & 37 were leased by Deakin. The houses were also designed by A. B. Deakin and built by Treasure in 1885. (In the 1880s Treasure built himself a very substantial house on the other side of the Radbrook looking north towards Kingsland opposite St. Milburga’s. This house “Kingsland Grange” has been a preparatory school for many years.) Large non-identical semi-detached houses. Roof tiles by J. Parson Smith. Brick garden walls by Deakin. At the time of completion, one house was to be sold and the other let.
19. Edgehill. Lots 63 & 64. This is first mentioned in the 1928 street directory, when Herbert S. Bruckshaw is listed as living there.
21. Broxton. Lots 64 & 65 leased originally by W. G. Preece in 1882. This was built between 1913 and 1915 for Mr Edward Plimmer by Price. Externally, the building is asymmetrical in the Wren/Queen Anne style. Internally, the main feature is the oak-panelled hall and landing with a fine staircase. Stone fireplace engraved with the initials EP and BCP, with oak curving above (based on Stokesay Castle designs). Leaded lights with coloured glass in hall and landing windows. Original brass door furniture throughout of fine quality.
22. Westholme. Lot 34 & part of lot 35, with lot 33. This was designed by A. E. Lloyd Oswell and built in 1896. The unused plot presumably accounts for the present absence of a house no. 24.
23. Brookfield. Lot 66. This is believed to have been designed and built by A. E. Lloyd Oswell in the early years of the 20th century (?1902). It has an unusually contemporary appearance, is built in the Arts & Crafts style, and is rendered with brick quoins.
25. Little Grange. Lot 68 & lot 67 leased by H. Treasure. This house was built by Treasure in 1886. It is half-timbered house with a large staircase window (which probably had coloured lights when built).
26. Kingsland Court. Lot 32. The building date is uncertain but the house was first listed in the 1910 street directory with Mr & Mrs G. H. Lock as occupants. It seems likely that when the Locks moved from 2 Kennedy Road, they took the name Durnovaria with them.
27. Mainly on lot 67, leased originally by Dr Thursfield. This was originally the housekeeper’s cottage and stables for St Milburga’s and was attached to it. (A new house incorporating the old cottage was built here in 1983 for Mr J. Patrick FRCS by G. Lawrence to designs by Catterall Morris Jaboor.)
28. Arwell and 30 Southfield. Lot 31 with a portion of lot 30. These semi-detached houses are identical in external appearance. They were designed by C. R. Dalgleish of Wellington and built around 1897-99. Fine staircase with original coloured lights in 28. Slate roof.
29. St. Milburga’s. Lot 70 leased to Dr Thursfield in 1882. The house was designed for Dr W. N. Thursfield, the Medical Officer of Health for Shropshire, by E. B. Benson (whose plans were cut down) and built by Treasure in 1884. The “perfect sanitary arrangements” described in Eddowes Shrewsbury Journal for 31 Dec 1884 presumably refer to the unusual tower which is attached to the main house. Mercer (2003) noted this as one of the few towers on Kingsland. This tower contains separate washrooms and WCs on two floors and had a separate water supply. The front door was originally at the side of the house, and the present garage was added in the 1920s. Inside, all the original Coalbrookdale fireplaces are intact, and two downstairs fireplaces have Maw’s tiles designed by Owen Gibbons. Maw’s encaustic-tiled pavement in the hall. In the principal reception rooms, the plain skirting boards are unusual, as are the Arras rails replacing cornices.
31. Ebor House. Lot 71 leased to Ebrall in 1882. This was designed for Mr Ebrall by A. E. Lloyd Oswell and Pountney Smith, and built in 1885. Half timbered. Good encaustic tiles in the hall. This was the residence of the last two Chief Constables for Shropshire.
32. Brereton and 34 Brynderwen. Lots 29 & part of 30; and lots 27 & 28 leased by Deakin. Identical Queen Anne-style semi-detached houses, probably designed and built by A. B. Deakin in 1884 for leasing. Terra cotta decoration over front windows downstairs and dormers. The front doorway is arched with pilasters in brick.
33. Ridgebourne House. Lots 73 & 74 leased originally to Cock in 1882. The land also includes lot 72, whose original lessee is indecipherable. This was designed for James Cock Jnr by Rawcliffe of Burnley and built in 1885 by Mr Cock’s own employees. Edwards’ Ruabon bricks and half timbered stables. It is roofed with pressed tiles from Parson Smith. The building has been used by the junior department of Shrewsbury High School for Girls for many years.
35. Acton House. Lot 75. Though the house may have been built around 1884/5, it does not appear in the street directory until 1888/89 when W. Harding was living there.
37. Ivy House. Lot 76 leased by Mr Naunton. The house was built in 1885 for Mr Naunton, but does not appear in the 1888/87 street directory. It appears identical to 31 Kennedy Road and may have had the same architects and/or builder. Mr Haydon was living there in 1888/89. Mr Naunton also leased the adjacent Lot 75.
39. Cyngfeld. Lots 77 & 78 leased to Peele. The house was designed for E. Cresswell Peele by Thomas Lockwood and built by W. Bowdler in 1884. This very large house is half-timbered, has fine brickwork and a large porch. Tiles by J. Parson Smith. Windows have leaded lights and some are coloured. The downstairs hall window has Peele’s initials set in coloured glass. Paintings over the mantle in the dining room. Garden room. The stables, known within Shrewsbury School as Peele’s stables were on the other side of Kennedy Road where Tudor Court is now. It was used by the VAD in the First World War.
The Fields. This first appears in the 1916 street directory. It is a handsome red-brick house. large reception rooms with moulded ceilings. Attractive staircase.